During the 1930`s a group of artisans gathered to share their interests in the arts, and Mrs. H.J. (Ethyl) Bolinger, artist and benefactor perceived a need for a gallery and dedicated gallery space on Pine Street to the "Lodi Art Club." Mr. and Mrs. Alby Lind, owners of the building, donated the rent.
During the 1940`s the "Lodi Art Club" became the "The Lodi Community Art Center," often shortened to Lodi Art Center. In August, 1960 the organization was incorporated (501c) as "The Lodi Community Art Center," a non profit educational organization "to encourage as interest in, and study of, the arts." When the property was sold in 1962, meetings were held at a house at 107 W. Lockeford Street. The organization then moved to the renovated Old Lodi Union High School at Hutchins Street square in 1982, first to the locker room and then to the old music room. In 1996 the organization left Huchins Street square to make for additional reconstruction to the theater and fine arts building. The center was offered space on Ham lane in Lakewood Mall and stayed there until it had to move once again. A nice home at Vino Piazza in Lockeford was short-term due to zoning laws. After several years on Church Street in Downtown Lodi the center returned to Lakewood Mall, where it has a studio and attractive gallery. Prior to World War 2, the Lodi Art center`s first Art Annual show was held at the Lodi grape festival Grounds.
The second Art Annual show was in the foyer of the Lodi Women`s Club. By 1965 the Art Annual was held at Barengo Winery and displayed the paintings on the old wine barrels. During its Hutchins Street Square years, the Art Annuals were held there. Beginning with the 38th Art Annual in 1997, the show has been held at the Woodbridge by Mondavi Winery in Woodbridge and has become a major cultural event for the area.
The Lodi Community Art Center has gained Statewide and national recognition for our members achievements and contributions to the community. many blue ribbons have been brought to Lodi by the members and the organization continues to reach out to the community with shows, demonstrations, and speakers.
The brush-off competition from 1984, when Lodi Community Art Center artists competed against Stockton Art League painters doing a quick work of art in tempera paint. The topic was always drawn from a list of suggestions, and the three artist who painted for each team were given only a couple of minutes to plan, then they each had a turn at the painting, relay style, with a timer running. I would guess the topic for this set of paintings was the Clements Stampede rodeo, with the horse and rider by LCAC and a rodeo clown by SAL.
Adapted from "the Lodi Community Art Center, Past and present" by Virginia Rippey.
* As an addendum to this history we might add that in the days prior to the Losi Arts Commission and the Lodi Arts Fund, it was the Lodi Department of parks and Recreation which often procided cooperation and support to projects of the Lodi Community Art Center, an independent non profit 502(c)(3) corporation made up of artist and art supporters.
Past Presidents of the Lodi Community Art center
1958-59 Richard Hieb
1959-60 Julia Nordquist/Incorporated 8/23/1960
1960-61 Marion Adams/1st Annual Art Show
1961-62 Edger Richards
1962-63 Melva Zweigle
1963-64 Bob Johnson
1964-65 Marily Wallof
1965-66 Ruth Surdez
1966-67 Marguerite Allot
1967-68 Zelma Meek
1968-69 Floyd Nordwick
1969-70 Jo Schleicher
1970-71 Bill Chapman
1971-72 Marily Wallof/second term
1972-73 Victor Gillet
1973-74 Alva Fransen
1974-75 Delores Levy
1975-76 Kathleen Terra/Non-profit status 3/1976
1976-77 Bill Chapman/second term
1977-78 Sharan McLaughlin
1978-80 Dolly Sellers/ two terms
1980-82 Donna Korphage/two terms
1982-83 Edith Purvis
1983-84 Donna Korphage/3rd term
1984085 Ed Hensley
1985-86 Pearl Sanguinetti
1986-87 Bob Klein
1987-88 Dolly Sellers/3rd term/moved to Hutchins Sr Square
1988-89 Delores Levy/second term
1989-90 Victor Gillet/second term
1990-91 Leslie Christianer
1991-92 Jon Withers
1992-93 Leland Choy
1993-94 Joan Lehman
1994-95 Delores Levy/3rd term
1995-96 Vice President Lydia Peters
1996-97 Cynthia Irwin/ Moved to Lakewood mall
1997-99 Eunice Jewart/two terms
1999-2000 Phyllis Marts
2000-01 Caroline Henry
2001-02 Gladys O`Keefe
2002-05 Patti Wallace/3 terms/moved to Lockeford & Church St
2005-07 Lisa Goldman
2007-08 Chris Kralj/moved to Lakewood Mall
2008-10 Caroline Henry/2nd & 3rd terms
2010-10 Deborah Morgan
2010-11 Suzie Wilbourne
2011-13 Richard Allen/ 2 terms